Philip Houghton, Founding Partner
Phil is a deeply experienced leadership coach – partnering C-Suite executives, leadership teams and senior leadership groups, internationally. He has also gained a significant reputation for shaping executive career transitions, and accelerating culture change and development – across multiple sectors – through systemic strategies and teamwork at the top.
Clients value Phil’s commercial, calm, insightful and creative style – and his uncanny ability to cut through to the core issues.
He has a strong track record in businesses with a ‘technical’ core including ⎯ FMCG, technology, engineering, healthcare, transport and logistics, construction and infrastructure companies – both with PLC’s and private equity backed businesses.
In addition to working with several enterprise and regional CEOs and COOs, he has coached C-Suite Executives in Finance, Operations, Strategy, R&D, Manufacturing, IT, Science & Technology, Audit, Actuarial, Risk, Quality, and Engineering disciplines.
“Phil’s coaching has been big value for us - he helped deliver a real transformation” FTSE 100 CEO
As well as being an extremely effective 1:1 coach, he designs and facilitates programmes on top teamwork, leadership in the 21st
century and group-based culture development. He enables his clients to:
- Accelerate thinking, shape strategy and optimise organisational energy
- Leverage the power of top teams to affect organisational and culture change
- Develop greater personal resilient in the face of challenging business conditions
- Connect more deeply to their authentic selves – exploring personal purpose and their unique career potential
- Awaken the right brain in leaders with big left hemispheres – so that their emotional intelligence ‘catches up’
Phil has devoted his commercial career to enabling leaders to discover and realise their potential in international and multicultural businesses. He has lived and worked in the Middle East and working extensively in Europe, Asia and the USA in periods of high-growth and disruption. His early career was as a Country and Regional General Manager with DHL in the Middle East. He then moved into consulting with PA Consulting Group and Deloitte before joining Sibson – an US-based consulting group. After a period leading his own business practice he joined and co-founded The Alexander Partnership some ten years ago.
Qualifications and Certifications
- Fellow – Institute of Coaching at Harvard Medical School
- Fellow – Royal Society of Arts
- Member – Worldwide Association of Business Coaches
- Member - British Psychological Society - Accredited Psychometrics user – Levels A & Intermediate level B
- Accredited user – MBTI, 16PF4-5, Morrisby Abilities, Managerial and Professional Profiler (MAPP), Strong interest Inventory, Belbin Team Profiling, Holland Career Coaching
Pro Bono Roles
Phil has coached the CEOs of Railway Children (working with street children in India, East Africa and the UK) and Tommy’s The Baby Charity (saving babies’ lives). He also coaches the CEO of a major UK Arts institution.
"I love working with Leaders who want to step back, reflect and see things differently. Coaching is a wonderful process for bringing insight, clarity and energy where it’s really needed. Partnering clients as they commit to things that are really going to make a big difference – commercially and personally – is wonderfully satisfying”